Thursday, November 29, 2007

The catalog challenge


I'm trying to get myself taken off the mailing lists of most of the catalogs we get, but before I call, I'm paging through each one to find the cute things hidden within. First up: L. L. Bean, which usually conjures up images of plaid shirts for dads and frumpy shoes for middle-aged women with tired feet. But pull a select few items away from their more utilitarian brothers and sisters, and they can almost stand alone as cute—like the Hearthside Slippers in pink plum ($29.95) above. Or how about a cheery yet practical stripe-edged Washable Wool Blanket in rosebud (queen, $99)?


And how many additional uses could you get out of this Maine Guide Plaid Duct Tape ($9.50 for two rolls) versus the standard silver stuff? It would add a cozy fireplace-at-the-lodge feel to gifts wrapped in brown paper.

Or how about upgrading your musty old sleeping bag for a Flannel-Lined Camp Bag in sea glass ($49)?

Finally, for the little kids, you can't go wrong with a classic red Radio Flyer Tricycle ($69):

Up next: Hanna Andersson, Garnet Hill, and whatever else lands in our mailbox.

1 comment:

debaloo said...

I love it! I totally need a warm blanket, but I completely forgot about l.l. bean. Thanks!

btw, did you see the cute little bird curtain ties at urban outfitter?